Monday, April 30, 2018

A surprising visit

Last winter before we left for Florida we had a surprise visit from an old neighbor we hadn't seen in years. She lives in another state.  We had not seen her in decades.  She was here due to some problems her son was experiencing and stopped by to catch up.

Then, a few days ago she and her husband again arrived on our doorstep.  It was a bad time.  The downstairs toilet was broken and we had stuff to be unpacked all over the house.  UGH,  I begged off inviting them inside but asked them to stop by again if they could.

Last night they came back (as arranged) and we had a really nice visit.  They are the second people to come back into our lives in the past few months - people we have been out of contact with, mostly.

I enjoyed our visit, recounting old stories, sharing news and it was like old times.  Sometimes you wonder why/how you lose touch.  It just happens.  They moved due to a promotion for him almost two decades ago but now, I sensed - she at least - is not happy where they are.  They have moved several times within the community where they now reside. She was always a stay at home Mom and left a community of friends, family and club involvement here,  I suspect that was the happiest time of life for her. You can't go back and even if you do, to the same home, community, people etc. it is never the same.  Maybe making the rounds of old neighbors on periodic visits helps.  I promised to stay in touch and I will.

 She appeared depressed and perhaps this was always hidden with her frenetic activities as a young wife and mother.  Erasing the past. Her early life was shockingly tragic. Yet she overcame raw beginnings to meet her husband in college and settle down with two children and a comfortable existence.  Now her daughter and her only grandchildren  live a thousand miles away and she has an unmarried 40 year old son who is out of work (and whom they are supporting).  Now it is just her and her husband and the dog

No comments:

Post a Comment